History & Heritage
Like many Catholic schools, Lourdes Academy grew out of a small system of local parishes that had existed in the Oshkosh area since the 1800s. These parishes established schools, and over time the need for a centralized high school led to the opening of Lourdes High School in 1959. The high school and other Catholic elementary schools were supported by small area parishes until 1992 when the schools began to consolidate in an effort to operate more efficiently. By 1997, all of the schools were brought together as the Unified Catholic Schools of Oshkosh. During this time, the system began to see increased enrollment and make major physical and curricular improvements.
In 2012, the entire system became known as Lourdes Academy, a PreK-12 Catholic education system serving nearly 700 students in Oshkosh and the surrounding communities at two elementary schools and a combined middle and high school, making it the largest parochial school system in Oshkosh.
The mission of Lourdes Academy is “to prepare students for life, college and a continued relationship with God.” In order to accomplish this mission, Lourdes is placing new emphasis on streamlining and scaffolding its curriculum from elementary through high school and providing a modern Catholic education to prepare students for the challenges of the 21st Century including a foundation in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) disciplines.
Lourdes Academy marks the beginning of a new era that will transform Catholic education in Oshkosh for the 21st century with a focus on growth and excellence while holding true to the Christ-centered values upon which it was founded.
Lourdes Construction 1959
Lourdes Corner Stone 1958